7 Chakra-based Goals for 2021
by Michael Teh
New year, new you! Here are some tips on how to make some changes in your life by using Chakras – the energetic centres that is aligned with physiological, emotional, mental and spiritual aspects of your being. Before you delve right into it, it is essential for you to consider all aspects of your life that you’d like to change. Here are seven ideas to help you start the new year on a purposeful, positive, ambitious, grounded in intention and limitless journey.
“Here are some tips that you can start your year with purpose, positivity, and ambitious note while remaining grounded but with limitless in possibility”
It is the new year and that means it is a new you! I am sure most of us are probably making some changes and to see some of goals come to fruition. Of course, first you’d need to set your goals and, yes, to then work towards them.
Nevertheless, I understand that charting our own paths can be daunting, however, with the right focus, it can become one of the most rewarding experience you could gain in life.
How do we focus then? By using the Chakras – the energetic centres that is aligned with the physiological, emotional, mental, and spiritual aspects of our being. And to begin your new year and journey, you can create SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant/Realistic, and Time-bound) goals and life-changing aspirations.
That said, before you delve into this, it is essential to first consider all the aspects of your life that you’d want to change/shift. Through approaching goal setting from a holistic point-of-view, you have the ability to identify areas that could intertwine and influence each other and combine your goals without getting exhausted.
Here are some tips that you can start your year with purpose, positivity, and ambitious note while remaining grounded but with limitless in possibility. To start, I’d recommend setting one goal per chakra and then add specific details that will make sense for your life and the areas you want to change the most. So, let’s start the year with happiness, health and productivity for you!
1. Root Chakra: Get Grounded
When the root chakra, Muladhara, is balanced, you will feel safe, secure, and comfortable to be in your own skin. Physically located at the toes, feet, and legs, the root chakra connects you to the element of earth.
Connect with nature:
- Go for a hike
- Walk on the beach
- Plant a garden
Make your home a place you like to be:
- Set up a sacred corner
- Treat yourself to new bedding
- Do a deep clean
Discover what “grounds” you and do it more:
- Break out your art supplies
- Call a good friend
- Sit in meditation
2. Sacral Chakra: Get Creative
When the sacral chakra, Svadistana, is balanced, you feel emotionally connected, in touch with all of your senses, and creatively charged. Physically located at the hips, low back, and lower abdomen, the sacral chakra connects you to the element of water.
Surround yourself with inspiration:
- Invest in new art supplies
- Visit a virtual museum
- Free-write in a journal
Get in the water
- Walk near the ocean, river, or lake
- Enjoy a soothing shower
- Join a gym with access to a swimming pool
Drink more liquids
- Drink warm tea in the morning
- Stay hydrated throughout the day
- Close your evening with an Ayurvedic nectar drink
3. Solar Plexus Chakra: Get Strong
When the solar plexus chakra, Manipura, is balanced, you feel courageous, at ease, and have high self-esteem. Physically located at the abdomen, mid-back, waist, and digestive organs, the solar plexus chakra connects you to the element of fire.
- Get on your yoga mat
- Run a 5K
- Take a short walk daily
Set small, realistic goals and follow through
- Create a weekly to-do list
- Email a friend to keep you accountable
- Create a chart to track your achievements
Eat nourishing food
- Try to order from a small business eatery
- Cook your favorite meal from scratch
- Order from a farm-to-table and try something you’ve never tried before
4. Heart Chakra: Get Compassionate
When the heart chakra, Anahata, is balanced, you feel empathetic, generous, and loving. Physically located at the heart, chest, shoulders, arms, and hands, the heart chakra connects you to the element of air.
Practice random acts of kindness
- Pay for a strangers’ meal or a drink
- Give flowers to your neighbour
- Leave a note of encouragement on someone’s car windshield
- Try one of these 21 simple ways to show kindness
- Send a thank-you note to a teacher who inspired you
- Make a list of the five people you are glad to have in your life
- Move through some gratitude-inducing yoga poses
- Sit quietly and listen to your breath
- Match the length of your inhales and exhales
- Practice a specialized breathing technique
5. Throat Chakra: Get Expressive
When the throat chakra, Vishuddha, is balanced, you feel able to communicate with clarity, listen attentively, and be open-minded. Physically located at the neck, throat, ears, jaw, and mouth, the throat chakra connects you to the element of space.
- Start a blog or newsletter
- Make a daily habit of journaling
- Get yourself in the arts; Paint, draw, sculpt, dance, or craft
Share your thoughts with someone
- Contact a friend who has moved away
- Text your neighbour for a virtual tea date
- Write a letter to someone who has been on your mind lately
- Stand up for yourself and others
- Set clear personal boundaries
- Say what needs to be said to clear the air with a friend, family member or co-worker
6. Third Eye Chakra: Get Thoughtful
When the third eye chakra, Ajna, is balanced, you feel intuitive, inspired, and imaginative. Physically located at the forehead, brow, and brain, the third eye chakra connects you to the element of light.
Learn something new
- Join a a virtual class
- Learn a new language that interests you
- Learn how to meditate
Trust the intuitive hints in your body
- Follow your gut instincts for an entire day
- Meditate and listen for a spark of inner wisdom
- Stop and pay attention to what your body needs
- Keep a dream journal next to your bed
- Make a list of five to 10 things you want to be “when you grow up”
- Write out a detailed description of your perfect day
7. Crown Chakra: Get Blissful
When the crown chakra, Sahasrara, is balanced, you feel connected to all beings and part of something greater. Physically located at the top of the head and one foot above the head, the crown chakra connects you with the universe.
- Start with five to 10 minutes with a timer or app
- Join a weekly meditation group
- Sign up for a virtual retreat
Do something relaxing
- Get a massage
- Schedule an acupuncture treatment
- Spend a whole day in bed with a good book
Follow your passion
- Learn a new skill via an online class
- Paint or write daily
- Start that business you’ve always wanted to but haven’t
Michael Teh, 22nd January 2021.
Michael Teh is a meditation coach devoted to a personal mission of awakening more people to higher consciousness. He teaches self-realization through meditation, qigong, yoga and philosophy. Michael Teh Signature Workshop: The Essence of Life Series explores meditation as a powerful tool to realize our true potential. Michael has designed multiple workshops in this series to support his participants’ self-realization journey. Workshop Series 1 is currently running every few months on-ground in Kuala Lumpur, titled “Knowledge of The Self and Fundamentals of Meditation. Be sure to follow Michael’s social media channels and website for more updates: FB: https://www.facebook.com/